The “homeopathic” treatment of chronic arthritis, whether osteoarthritis, rheumatoid, or another form, can be quite effective. The best time to initiate homeopathic treatment of arthritis very early in the course of the disease. It is typically a complicated process that requires the expertise of a ‘professional homeopath’ to assess the whole person.
there are over 5,000 remedies to choose from here are a few;
- Bryonia: pains are worse from the slightest motion, better after rest. Pains are also better from pressure or by lying on the painful side.
- Caulophyllum: arthritis in women, of the small joints, particularly the fingers, hands, toes, and sometimes the ankles. Pain and stiffness can alternate from one joint to another every minute. Small joint problems plus uterine difficulties.
- Colchicum: arthritis worse during warm, wet weather, although sometimes cold, damp weather can cause complaints. Worse with the change of seasons. The hands and fingers are most affected; the pains are worse from slight motion. Often associated with other ailments, like nephritis, blood in the urine, and pericarditis. Aversion to the odor of eggs and fish is a strong symptom sometimes seen.
- Guaiacum: rheumatic affections of the small joints, especially the wrists and fingers, worse from warmth, and better from cold applications.
- Kali bichromicum: periodic arthritis and arthritis alternating with other complaints (e.g. sinusitis, asthma, digestive disorders). Periodicity is often fixed (e.g. every spring or autumn, etc.). The pain is often in one small spot, and may wander to different sites and come and go suddenly; pain may occur every day at the same time; pain is worse between 2 and 4am.
- Ledum: painful swelling relieved by cold applications and made worse by warmth. Areas especially affected are ankles, feet, ball of the first toe, and left shoulder and right hip together. “Rheumatism” starts in the legs and extends upwards.
- Rhus tox: pain and stiffness. Stiffness is very characteristic. The pain is worse when at rest, with weather changes, especially to cold, damp; by cold; and by initial motion (e.g. rising from a bed or a seat). The pains are helped by warmth and continued motion (once “warmed up”). Restlessness with the pain. Complaints are often left-sided.
- Rhododendron: all symptoms are much worse before a storm. Restlessness of the legs. Crosses legs in sleep.
- Ruta: especially useful for arthritis beginning after trauma (fracture, sprain, bruise). A “lam” feeling in the joints. Ankle and wrist are often involved. Person has marked restlessness and wants to frequently change position. Leg pains on rising from sitting (as if broken). Back pain better lying on back. Pains are better from motion, but person may become exhausted after walking.
- thanks to the homeopathycenter.org for this article